Monday, February 27, 2017

A birthday away from home!

I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday on our first full day in Mexico!  I was a crazy day.  I counldn't have asked for a better way to spend the day.  I got to learn about Mayan history, which was awesome.  I have always loved Central and South American history, so learning more about it, not from a borrowed library book, just amazed me.  We got to go the a beautiful church (the oldest cathedral in Latin American) for mass in the morning.  I have never celebrated a birthday away from my home and my family, but I wouldn't have wanted to celebrate with any other group of people than I do here in Merida.  At lunch (pictured above) I was sarenaded with the traditional Spanish "happy birthday" song and some others like "La Bamba".  After metting students from a local English school, we got to shop around.  The three girls that accompanied a small group of us became fast friends, even connecting on social media to keep in touch!  After a long day of the town we came back to the mission house to settle in for the night.  We got to meet two amazing, and super entergentic women who also work for the Mission of Friendship.  I got to meet so many interesting and amazing people on my birthday, which only added to the hype of it all.  To finish the night I was surprised with another (and the most special) round of the American "happy birthday" song with a Spanish twist and some delicious cake from our lovely hosts and the rest of the group.  I was a little upset at first that I wouldn't be with my family on my birthday,  but celebrating in Merida was beyond amazing! The people here truly made this birthday I will remember forever. I thank all of the people here again for this truly amazing experience!

Forever and always I'll be,
Delaney McMeekin

No comments:

Post a Comment