Sunday, February 26, 2017

Street fairs, and birthdays, and Merida, oh my!

Hola amigos! Happy Birthday to Delaney today!

Waking up to the sun shining and the birds chirping was a great way to start our long day! Today was spent in downtown Merida! We attended mass at the oldest Cathedral in all of Latin America, and what a breathtaking experience it was! Some of the best parts of lunch were watching Parth and Alex order an entire chicken between the two of them (they ate it all!) and then a trio serenading Delaney for her birthday. They finished their performance with the song "La Bamba" as we all clapped and sang along. Delaney got a SWEET piece of cinnamon cake :) What an awesome way to celebrate a 19th birthday!

My favorite moments today took place at the street fair while we were exploring and purchasing some Yucatecán goods, including earrings, blankets, hammocks, backpacks, dresses, hats, and corn ice cream! My first moment, that should give everyone a good laugh, was when I tried on a traditional dress. The dress got stuck around my hips and Erin L. had to help pull it off of me while the market man just stood there and laughed at me. Needless to say, it may have been a few sizes too small! The market man and I may come from different places on this earth, but our humor was all the same! The next moment was when I was walking from one stand to another and I felt a small tap on my thigh. When I turned around, a beautiful young girl was smiling at me, holding a bundle of homemade bracelets! As we sat aside from the hustle of the street fair, she picked out some of her favorite bracelets for me to purchase and in that moment my heart was filled with so much joy and love. She couldn't speak English and I could barely speak any Spanish to her, but we were able to communicate with our smiles, our eyes, and touch! Those five minutes with that young girl completely made my day and touched my heart. It's the simple things that make life worth while.

Mucho amor,
Sara






No comments:

Post a Comment