Thursday, February 4, 2016

Group Member Bios

Hola amigos!  Please take some time to check out all of our amazing group members!  We can't wait to leave for Merida in a little over three weeks! :) 


Deacon Steve Washek 


Year & Major : Director of Campus Ministry :   BA in Social Work,   MA in Pastoral Studies:
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I visited Mexico twice before, and I love that it is connected to our Diocese
What is your favorite Gannon memory? Celebrating my Ordination with students
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do? I like to work outside doing landscaping, Walking, tinkering with the piano, dogs




Ashley Lawson


Year & Major: Honors Program Assistant (also currently a graduate student in the MPA program)
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose Mexico for a few reasons, but mostly because I enjoy the idea of working with young girls and helping them further their educational opportunities. Equal opportunities for young women are really important to me because I recognize that my life as a woman would be much more difficult had I not been born where I was.
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: I really enjoyed being a part of the ABST to San Lucas, Guatemala last year – I had the opportunity to meet a group of amazing students that I otherwise wouldn’t have known! We had a wonderful experience last year and I’m looking forward to making new memories this year in Merida.
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: I love photography, traveling, and being outside. My undergrad degree is in Art History, so I also enjoy exploring historical places and visiting museums.


Linden Lester  


Year & Major: Senior Early Childhood & Special Education
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I went on the Mexico trip two years ago as a participant and absolutely fell in love with the people.  I decided for my senior year why not apply to return to Mexico as the student leader so I could share the life changing experience with others.
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: My favorite Gannon memory is going on the ABST trips.  I have gone on one every year and sad this will be the last one.  Going on these trips is what me decide to go into education and it also deepened my passion for service.  Which I share excitedly that I just signed my papers this week to become a volunteer with Olancho Aid in Honduras starting in August for 10 months.  I will be teaching at the primary school down there and couldn't be more excited and thankful for this journey. 
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: My favorite things to do are be outdoors, travel, photography, being crafty, and volunteering.


Katie Kapp


Year & Major: Junior Chemistry 
Hometown: Clarion, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose to lead Merida, Mexico, because I fell in love with the culture in Merida when I was part of this ABST two years ago as a freshman. In addition to the rich culture, the girls at the Nueva Vida school are incredibly loving and fun to be around. I knew I wanted to go back someday, and I am beyond excited to return to Merida, this time as a student leader!
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: I don't think I can pick one favorite memory at Gannon, but I have especially loved the two ABSTs I've been a part of: Merida and Guatemala. I also have a blast being a Writing Center consultant and a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority!
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: My hobbies include spending time with family and friends, playing with my dog Captain, obsessing over Harry Potter, and cheering on the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates.


Kevin Holland 


Year & Major: Senior, History Major 
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: When deciding what to do this spring break, it was really a no brainer. I have gone ABSTs all my other years at Gannon and I knew wanted to do the same for my last year. Last year, I went to Merida and this year decided to apply to attend again. I felt called to return in a way that's hard to explain. I look forward to seeing what this year has in store. 
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: I have been blessed to involved in a variety of activities here at Gannon and I was asked to pick my favorite memory. Right now, I'll pick portraying Jesus in Living Stations. Every year, the students act out the Stations of the Cross for their fellow students and local community. Last year, I had the honor being Jesus. It was very powerful for me to get just a glisp first hand what He went through for all of us
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: To pass the time, I enjoy simply hanging out with my friends and traveling. I know when I graduate in May all my friends and I will do great things, but to do that we can't stay in one place. Right now, we all just enjoying final semester here on campus and embracing the memories that we can make. 


Luke Bohrer


Year & Major: Freshman, Undecided Science 
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose Mexico because I wanted serve others while simultaneously learning about a new culture… And to escape Erie’s winter for a week.
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: My favorite Gannon memory would be a little prank that I’m calling “Miss Vincent”. Although it took months for this prank to come together, the wait was definitely worth it.
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: I enjoy long walks on the beach, I like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain.  My other hobbies include skiing, scuba diving, fishing, video games, movies, and simply hanging out with friends. 




Alli Lee


Year & Major: Freshman, Undeclared
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I took five years of Spanish during high school and have always loved the culture and language. I am very excited to travel and hope to one day go to Spain. This is my stepping stone for exciting adventures to come. I am excited to be traveling out of the country for the first time and be immersed into their culture, all while having the opportunity to volunteer.
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: My favorite memory at Gannon University would be making so many friends and enjoying college. 
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, meeting new people, running, going to the beach, and simply loving life!


Karis Kosobucki 


Year & Major: Freshman, Early Childhood Pre-K-4/Special Education 
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose Mexico because I am an early childhood education major and I love working with children. Therefore, I think it will be a great and unique experience to interact with children in another culture and see how their schooling there differs from the United States.
What is your favorite Gannon memory?: My favorite Gannon memory has to be meeting my three great friends who are also in the education program! We've become such great friends over the past few months and have made numerous memories together cramming for tests, ranting about all our work and least favorite professors, and most importantly just hanging out and laughing uncontrollably!
What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: One of my favorite things to do is cook and bake! I especially love making chocolate chip cookies! I also love being outdoors whether it be going to the beach or just taking a walk through the woods!

Mallory Trabert


Year & Major: Freshman, Early Childhood Education 
Hometown: Erie, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose Mexico because I absolutely love the culture and the people. I’m excited to work with the little girls at the Nueva Vida Program and give back to the community wherever the need may be.
 What is your favorite Gannon memory?: Meeting my two best friends, Karis and Carolyn.
 What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: I love playing sports and staying active. I also enjoy reading, traveling, photography, listening to music, and watching movies. My favorite things to do would be spending quality time with my family and laughing with my friends. 

Erin Lipnicky


Year & Major: Sophomore, Physician Assistant 
Hometown: Seven Fields, PA
Why did you choose Mexico?: I chose Mexico because I am interested in traveling while in college while also having the opportunity to learn about a new culture and serve others.  I am hoping that we will get to visit the clinic in Merida so that I may get a taste of what medical practice in other countries, such as Mexico, is like. 
 What is your favorite Gannon memory?: My favorite college memory has been making the Gannon University dance team.  I absolutely love dancing on the side lines of all of the home basketball games and I am thankful for all of the opportunities that have come with dancing in college.  
 What are your hobbies and/or favorite things to do?: Some of my favorite things to do include dancing, going to the rec center with my friends, shopping, spending time with my family and being silly with my friends.  



No comments:

Post a Comment