Monday, March 10, 2014

ABST Post Trip Reflection: Four Pillars



Hola! This is Madeline Boucher, one of the student participants of ABST Mexico.  As classes start back up, we are all trying to get back into the swing of things.  Not only are we two hours behind than what we were used to a week ago (time zone change and daylight savings) but we are also trying to continue our lives after what we experienced last week.
This was one of the best trips I have ever been on.  This is my first time leaving the U.S. (with the exception of Canada) and it was eye opening for me to get a visual aspect of another culture in another country. 
Every night on the trip, we had a reflection discussing our day and how it affected us, and I discussed with the group on the last night of the trip on how the four pillars of ABSTs (service, simplicity, community and reflection) tied into this trip for me.  Here’s what I came up with:
Service
Our service for this trip did not start when we landed in Merida, it started when we found out we were going on this trip.  As soon as we found out our acceptance, we had to begin opening our minds on a new culture.  Service is not only doing work to help someone else, it’s also learning what you can, on the way they live.  Since we traveled to another country where they live differently than what we are used to and speak a different language than us, we needed to prepare being comfortable with the people that will be around us.    
The first time I distinctly remember seeing the people in Yucatán living their reality was in Sotuta at the clothing bizarre.  The second we brought the boxes onto the tables, there were already about 15 people looking at the clothes.  These people needed the clothes and while they saw an opportunity, they jumped for it.  Another member of this trip told me during the sale that if we were to have something this is in the U.S; people would most likely still sit at home and watch their TVs.  That will be one thing that was said to me that I will never forget, along with that whole two hours the sale was going on.  
Our service also included sanding, washing and painting a classroom (bright orange), activities with the girls at Nueva Vida and played “Loteria” with the residents at Reyna de Pez Nursing Home.  Looking at the differences between, schools and nursing homes gave us a bigger perspective of the culture in the Yucatán.     
Simplicity
Before the trip, I had a hunch that this is the pillar that I would struggle with the most.  I always have my phone on me, I check Facebook several times a day to know what my friends are up to, I love steak for dinner, I love surfing the internet, I love listening to music, I always love knowing the time and the list goes on and on.  I thought I would challenge myself by keeping my phone on airplane mode all week.  It turned out that it was very nice not having access to anything!  Not using my phone all week reduced so much of my stress I had from school, friends, my job and other responsibilities.  I never thought that putting my phone and other technology down for a week would be so relaxing!  Not having a fancy meal was something else that didn’t bother me.  I have tried so many new foods throughout the week that having steak never crossed my mind. 
The people in Yucatan live simply every day.  They live in small houses and make do with what they have.  We lived that way the whole week.  We lived in small houses with several other people.  We didn’t have a lot of room, but that was one way we formed community. 
Community
We had probably the most wide ranged small group that an ABST can possibly get.  We had majors from Physician Assistant to Chemistry to Education to Communication.  We had a few athletes, a seminarian, shy people, students in all fours year levels in school, etc. It turned out that all of our differences is what made our group become so close.  Every group member was willing to listen to what someone had to say throughout the week along with giving 110% into service work.  We all encouraged each other to step out of our comfort zone not only on this trip but also during the rest of our lives.  At the last reflection of the week, I told the group: “you are all amazing and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be on this trip with all of you”.  It was extremely difficult to say goodbye to everyone at the end of the week.  It was amazing to me how 10 strangers could become so close just 7 days.       
Reflection
This is one pillar that will never end.  Our nightly group reflections may be over but our individual personal reflection will be forever.  Now that we all have experienced and seen the Yucatán culture we are all in awe.  These people are so happy with such little money, small houses and their families.  This makes us realized that the most important part of our lives are the people around us.  I myself am guilty of being stresses about money and the way my life will take me, but I never stopped to realize that I have one of the greatest things anyone could ask for, a loving family and wonderful friends (and new friends)!                 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment