Saturday, March 15, 2014

New perspectives

I can't believe that it has already been a whole week since we were down in Mérida. I am so grateful for this experience and to be able to be with such a wonderful group was more than I could have ever hoped for. I have traveled to several Latin American countries in my past on mission trips and each holds a special place in my heart, and this trip was no different. Throughout the week I was not only able to lean more about a different culture and help those in need, but I was also able to push myself out of my comfort zone and grow,  as a leader and as a person in general. Co- leading this trip has allowed me to gain valuable skills that I can bring back and have with me for the rest of my life, but I think the thing that I am most thankful for on this trip was the new perspective. While on the trip we lived a a different pace, a slower pace. There was no rush to be at places, we got there in our own time and that allowed to really enjoy the places that we were at and experience them they way they were meant to be experienced. We also were able to live simply. We took a break from our phone and lived in the moment with the wonderful people we met such as the girls at Nueva Vida and the random people we got to interact with at the clothing bazaar. I hope to bring this new perspective back with me in my life and live it out everyday, to take the time to appreciate where I am at , and to really be present when I am with people in any situation.

A special moment that I wanted to share happened during the time this picture was taken. This is at the clothing bazaar in Sotuta. I was in charge of handing out the free rosaries and to make sure only one person took one of each item. For a while there were others with me, but I was also by myself for some time. It was at those times that meant the most to me. The little children surrounded my table because I told them that they were free so they all got excited and wanted to make sure they each got to pick a rosary. The reason I cherish this moment so much is that I really enjoyed interacting with those who came to my table. I got to use my limited Spanish and we tried to have small conversations, and for the most part we were able to understand each other. The children were adorable and very understanding in trying to talk with me. This memory will always stay with me it just meant so much that they were willing to speak and be patient with me. 

~ Jackie Pfeil

No comments:

Post a Comment