Monday, March 17, 2014

Thinking of Merida: Sheer Bliss in Simplicity

Dearest Readers,

Since returning from our journey to Merida, a number of words, images, and questions have been running through my mind and heart.

While I don't often do this, I thought a nice way for me to convey some of those musings with you would be a poem.

Here it goes, have a beautiful week.

Hasta tarde.

-Natalie







Mis Flores 

As I begin the journey I leave my watch at home, unintentionally,
It is time; time to stop watching time go by,
Where is that familiar pulse that I've hooked my body to? 
Learning the true meaning of what it is to smell the roses;
Perhaps it is the pulse of life that drives my restlessness? 
What is healthy doesn't always come naturally to me. 

There is a constant warmth here,
I'll miss it as soon as I leave,
The people here surprise me, 
They base their lives in love,

I came in with assumptions,
Only to realize I knew nothing at all,

I find that I am jealous, 
Why can't we do the same? 
Why is life a competition? 
Why must we have it all? 

You don't have the stuff we have
and yet you never cease to smile,
You hug and kiss me earnestly, 
I hope these moments last forever,

The further I walk on this journey, 
The more I realize how little I know,
Wherever I turn I see beauty;
a richness which cannot be bought,

At the end of the day with las flores,
I realize it'll all be okay,
There is bliss in the act of waiting,
There is bliss in the act of care,
Day by day based in love,
I know I'm already there. 

So we said our goodbyes in the airport,
We shed a tear or two,
But we smile knowing Merida happened,
and we carry her in our hearts.

You can pass again through customs,
You can take my tickets away, 
But the lessons I have learned from you, well, 
They are here to stay. 









No comments:

Post a Comment