Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Blessed

The trip we took to Merida this spring has greatly influenced my worldview and altered my perception of the people around me. One of the lessons I learned on the trip was the value of simply attempting to understand someone. Although I am definitely not fluent in Spanish, the fact that I tried, and actively listened to the people I was interacting with, made a visible impact on those that we met.

 

I am seeking to apply this idea to all of my interactions. In my social work classes, communication is stressed--but seeing it in this new light has really opened my eyes to the importance of being an active listener. It is my hope that I can take what I have learned from this trip, and use it to positively influence those that I come into contact with here.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment