Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It Was Too Perfect... Bingo

For the last 72 hours, I have been back in Erie. While my school work has started back up and I’m looking for the end of the semester, I can’t stop myself from thinking about my week in Merida. I have been on my fair share of service trips, but this one is different. It stands out to me. Before the week started, the eight of us barely knew of each other, some closer than others, but none of us were extremely close. This would change. 

When we left Merida, we knew that we had developed a bond that was unique. We grew to love each other and to rely on each other as family members. In times of excitement, we congratulated each other. In times of sickness, we served each other. In times of sadness, we embraced each other. We accepted each other wherever we were at. We were “El Gran Ocho.” 

I feel blessed knowing the people we met and who opened themselves up to me and our entire group. First off, thanks Lea for being a perfect co-leader from start till finish. We did it. I would like to personally the children that showed Christ’s face to me and for ignoring my English-ized Spanish. Thank you Amelia and Jose for driving us and answering our variety of questions. Finally, I want to thank Tricia, the head of the Mission of Friendship. She embraced our group and became apart of it. She showed me that if you love those whom you serve, the energy needed to serve will come. Even in sickness, she did all she could ensure that our group would have the best experience. 

 As I now readjust to Erie’s weather and my daily routine, I will never forget my experience in Merida. I went not knowing what to expect, but open to all the trip had to offer. I left with a strong of a community and a greater confidence in my faith and myself. It came in hot and was always on point. Bingo.

 

Gracias for your support and God bless, Kevin Holland 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment