Thursday, March 26, 2015

Blogging it Up One Last Time

Merida will forever hold my heart. I fell in love as soon as we stepped off the plane. I was particularly struck by the cultural differences that are present in the miles between the States and Merida. The people in Merida are so kind, loving, open, thankful, and welcoming.  My heart was reborn by the generosity of the many beautiful people we met. My life was changed by the selfless actions of a man named Ernesto. Ernesto saw us walking down the street and invited us to his home. He offered to show us his cenote (an underground lake system) and a friendship was born. We walked through the village we were in and I was dumbfounded that this was how these joyous people lived. We were invited into the home of Ernesto and greeted with open arms by his wife, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and father-in-law. The women were making tortillas and gave us some to try. Ernesto's sister-in-law said with the utmost sincerity "mi casa es su casa" She explained that her home was ours and if we needed anything while we were in Merida to come find them. My heart was truly melted by her openness to total strangers. Ernesto continued to show us their humble home. He was so proud of what his family had built. There were many animals such as turkeys, chicken, rooster, and some other animals walking around freely in the backyard. There was different fruit trees that helped support his family. The thing that shocked me the most was how highly Ernesto spoke of the bathroom his family was given by the government. The bathroom was new and very nice. Ernesto explained that it took a very long time to get a bathroom because the government helps the rich people first and the poor are normally not helped. This bathroom was the only one in the entire village. We take so much for granted and to see the simplicity of Ernesto and his family, I realized that is a life I want to live. I want to enjoy the blessing of drinkable water, bathrooms, abundant food, equality, and education. I am so blessed to be able to have all that I do. I will forever be changed by the generosity of Ernesto. I think about him often and remember the solidarity I felt in that moment. I want to go back to Merida and continue to learn about the culture and the people. I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to go to Merida. It is an experience I will never forget. I am also blessed to have made such strong connections with El Gran Ocho. The experience would have been so different if I was not with my Mexican family. I love them all forever and always and I know I will be friends with them forever.

El Gran Ocho forever.

Blogger signing out- Adios!

Sammy

No comments:

Post a Comment