Thursday, March 26, 2015

Merida Raven's Out

Merida, Mexico is probably the most beautiful place I have seen. The houses are all different colors and the people are so friendly. But the best part is the memories I have made with my fantastic group. We spent so much time together we most definitely became a family. We battled illness and explored new places together. We made sure the four pillars (Service, Reflection, Solidarity, and Simplicity) where always in the back of mind as we went on our adventures. We also experienced the pure kindness of the people of Merida. My favorite memory is of one our translators name Jose. He drove us around happily while he explained the culture and history of Merida to us. He went out of his way to bring us the different types of fruits and explain the different type’s trees it could come from. Jose also came along to all of our service locations and helped out (we couldn’t have laid a cement floor without his help!). Having someone who was born and raised in Merida; lead to a more well-rounded experience. We weren’t outsiders looking in because of Jose. Also our amazing host Tricia always went out of her way to ensure that everyone was taken care. I admire her so much, the dedication and work she puts into the mission is something that has personally inspired me.  I hope to be able to give back to community in the same way she does in the future. Tricia led a reflection one night that talked about the real meaning of service. It gave me a whole different perspective on what it means to help others. “Service is about learning, growing, and working together to meet genuine needs.” Basically not victimizing or feeling guilty for others but serving them and not expecting anything in return. This is exactly what happened when we went to Nueva Vida. The girls where so open to having us there and didn’t let the difference in language stop of from communicating with each other. With the help of our amazing translators we played tag, went to the park, ate lunch, and learn new ways to play in the sand without missing a beat. At the Nursing home, I got to play to catch with a group of residents. This solidified for me how much I enjoy working with the elderly and that it should be a part of my career path. Just playing a simple game and only knowing a little Spanish would have been a lot more difficult if the resident weren’t so understanding. Some even tried to speak English to us. Many laughs where shared at the home because we all mutually understood and was amused at the efforts both sides gave.  At the daycare, it was proven once again how much fun sand and balloons could be. The energy the kids had always brought a smile to my face. Our group attempted to paint the playground at the daycare but the rain had other ideas. But I still learned how to sand and paint! This ABST has been a very eye opening experience and I’m very blessed to have a group like El Gran Ocho.  

Love,

Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment