Monday, March 14, 2016

Merida Post Trip Reflection by Linden Lester

Now that we’ve been home for a week and I’m slowly getting back into the swing of things it’s starting to hit me that our Mexico trip is over.  While the physical trip may be over, we can continue to serve others with open hearts in our everyday life.
For me personally this trip was a realization of what my life is going to be like after I graduate.  August 1st I will be moving to Honduras to complete a year of service with Olancho Aid.  Being in Mexico made me realize how excited (and I hate to admit it, but also terrified) I truly am for that experience. 
Being back at Nueva Vida for me was a turning point in the trip.  When we first got there one girl said to me that she remembered me from two years ago and that really just hit home with me.  The fact that we simply spent a few days with them, but yet they still remember us two years later, means a lot.  Also I’m always amazed by the friendships we are able to make with these girls.  There is no language barrier when it comes to children and play.
It’s always so hard for me to reflect on these experiences because these trips are always such a high for me in life and I always feel like once I get back home I come way back down.  After this trip I am challenging myself to continue to live out that daily high that I get from these service trips in my everyday life at home.  Ever since I went to Mexico the first time this quote will forever be embedded in my mind.  “What do we live for if it is not to make life less difficult for one another!”  By going on these trips I’ve realized that my true passion in life is being able to give of myself and help others. 

I am truly blessed for being able to be a part of this trip.  We will forever be bonded by our waterfalls and volcanoes.  Mexico 2016, signing off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment