Monday, March 14, 2016

Merida Post Trip Reflection by Luke Bohrer

                Now that the long anticipated trip to Merida is over, I am left feeling blessed for be able to experience and learn as much as I did in only a short amount of time.  Being able to see another person’s way of life that is completely different than my own is also very eye opening.  Some of things I take for granted are common everyday struggles for the people living in the villages we visited as a group.  However, even though these people had less than I did, they would offer us their hospitality in a heartbeat.  The people were poor materialistically, but they were rich in happiness.
This trip opened hearts and expanded comfort zones, something that wouldn’t have happened if we stayed in Erie.  The children I encountered were ecstatic about us spending time with them. Despite practically not knowing any Spanish, I quickly discovered play was a universal language among kids. The kids found the simplest things such as chalk, balloons, and bubbles to be the most fun. Even just running around and chasing each other made them smile from cheek bone to cheek bone. It’s the simple things like giving someone your time and attention that makes the biggest difference.
 At one of the villages, I learned the people have no access to a doctor. Before, a doctor would come to the village every Friday to give consultations and care to the people for a very small amount of money.  But this doctor had passed away and now the people are doctorless. They cannot afford transportation to and from the city to receive the care they may need. There is an immediate need for a doctor by these villages.  Considering that I want to become a doctor, I plan on using my talents, knowledge, and resources to somehow fulfill those needs in future. Whether it’s personally serving these villages once I am a doctor, using my success to help fund organizations to serve them, and or a combination of both, I want to do everything I can to serve these amazing people.

The word “priceless” can easily sum up my experience even though everyone had gotten sick. I can’t wait to go on another ABST trip next year. And to anyone who’s reading this, remember to open your heart and to expand your comfort zones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment